Welcome to Biting-Edge, a blog shared by authors and vampire experts, Mario Acevedo and Jeanne Stein. We’ll cover urban fantasy, vampires, pop culture, and all things Joss Whedon. Unlike other fantasy blogs, we don’t insist on body cavity searches (unless you ask politely). Snarkiness is most welcome...though we won't promise not to bite back!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012
  Why Write?


My husband has often asked why anyone would want to be an author. Usually the question comes after I’ve had a crisis of some sort—worry about a new release, about a new book, about the next contract. I realize I’ve been lucky—I have seven books published, stories in a dozen anthologies, two more books on the way, a contract for a new series in the works. And yet the insecurities are as real and as overwhelming as they always were. Mario talked about branding on Monday. When I released my first book in 2004 I remember asking my friend Charlaine Harris for marketing tips. She couldn’t help. She never did any marketing. She built her career book by book—two series and 13 books before she hit gold with Sookie Stackhouse and the Southern Vampire series.

Can’t do that anymore. Publishers aren’t willing to wait for you to build an audience. You have to network, have a social presence, put up a website, blog. You have to attend conferences, teach classes, become active in writing organizations. You have to come up with cute swag items and spread them around. Hold contests and give lots of stuff away. You have to be a social animal and everyone who knows me (I mean really knows me) understands that I'm not. I'm scared to death before every signing, panel appearance or talk. I have to play the game, but it's through pain. I marvel at how easy it is for Mario and good pal Margie Lawson.



And in between all of this, you have to come up with the next book idea. You have to find the time to actually write the books.

Publishers want a winner right out of the chute. They’re farming the suddenly fertile field of e-publishing, snapping up novels they originally rejected because the writers now come with built-in audiences. Friends that Mario and I know are e-pubing and having some success at it (see Jeff Shelby), even though they started they way we did, writing for years, querying agents and finally receiving the call. But for one reason or another, their series were dropped, their contracts not renewed. They’re starting over on their own. They’re getting their stories out and reaching readers.



Which is what we as writers want, isn’t it? To reach readers. Which brings me full circle and answers the question I posed at the beginning. Writers write because they want to reach readers. How to do that seems to be the new question. Hold out for that agent and hope to find a traditional house to publish your book? Or go it on your own?

What do you think? As readers, how do you pick from the thousands of ebooks out there? Are you buying more ebooks than print books? Do you look for writers you know? Is pricing a consideration? Writers, are you considering e-pubing on your own? Going both the epub and traditional route? I really am interested in hearing your answers.

# # # #

February has been a busy book release month for our League friends.Next book up is Allison Pang's A Sliver of Shadow



Release date: Feb 28

From Amazon: WAR IS HELL. AND WAR WITH HELL IS NO FUN EITHER.

Just when her new life as a TouchStone—a mortal bound to help OtherFolk cross between Faery and human worlds—seems to be settling down, Abby Sinclair is left in charge when the Protectorate, Moira, leaves for the Faery Court. And when the Protectorate’s away . . . let’s just say things spiral out of control when a spell on Abby backfires and the Faery Queen declares the Doors between their worlds officially closed. The results are disastrous for both sides: OtherFolk trapped in the mortal world are beginning to fade, while Faery is on the brink of war with the daemons of Hell. Along with her brooding elven prince Talivar and sexy incubus Brystion, Abby ventures to the CrossRoads in an attempt to override the Queen’s magic. But nothing in this beautiful, dangerous realm will compare to the discoveries she’s making about her past, her destiny, and what she will sacrifice for those she loves.

Read the first chapter on Amazon here

# # # #

Quiz: match famous literary authors with their non-literary obsessions:

Martin Amis ........................ Birds
Tom McCarthy .................... Tap Dancing
Henry Miller ........................ Video Games
LevGrossman .......................Drawing
Truman Capote ................... Tintin
Patti Smith ...........................UFO's
Flannery O'Connor ..............Brian Jones
Victor Hugo ..........................Samuel Beckett

How many did you get right? Check answers on Flavorwire here

# # # #

All right...looks like Mario, Warren Hammond and I are heading down to Colorado Springs for Galaxyfest on Saturday. Don't have any kind of schedule yet except that we know we're participating in the Literacy signing on Sunday...don't even know the time. Sorry. I know the location, though: Antlers Hilton 4 South Cascade, Colorado Springs. Tele: 719-955-5600
If you're in the area, stop in and say hello.

Labels: , , , ,

 
Comments:
I'm probably a dying breed, but I like real books that I can hold in my hand and smell the ink. I have an e-reader, but I find what I download on it falls into one of three categories (a) books I have in print but want on my e-reader too (b) books/novellas by authors I love that are only in e-format (c) books under $3 (most are under $1). I've found a couple of fairly okay writers buying the cheap books, but a whole lot of crap, too. And the typos in them make me a little nuts.

In a perfect world (for me anyway) bookstores would be abundant and when I bought a real book, I would have the option to pay a little extra to get the digital version, too. And all books would be in real solid hold-in-your-hand format, so that I could have them on my bookshelves.

But that's just me...
 
I agree with your comments, Karen. In fact, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with the idea of getting an ebook right along with a hard copy. It makes sense to me.

Thanks for commenting. J.
 
Um, I haven't gotten on the ereader bandwagon yet. I have enough trouble keeping up with the paper TBR pile.

But I am right there will you on all the social marketing, pretty much I drive myself crazy *every night* wondering if I'm doing enough.

It's insane.

HUGS

~Suzi
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
www.marioacevedo.com
jeanniestein.com

Biting Edge - Blogged


Marta Acosta
Vampiress.ca
Zombie Defense Tactics
L.A. Banks
Robin Brande
Douglas Clegg
Mary Janice Davidson
Midnight Moon Cafe
P.N. Elrod
Christine Feehan
Andrew Fox
Jasper Fforde
Neil Gaiman
Laurell K. Hamilton
Charlaine Harris
Charlie Huston
Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Midnight Hour
First Offenders
Christopher Moore
Susan Squires
Storytellers Unplugged
Carrie Vaughn
Lynn Viehl
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro


Agent Query
AOL Bookmaven
Bookmouth
Bookseller Chick
Bronze Word
GalleyCat
Guide to Literary Agents
Grumpy Old Bookman
Marcela Landres
Miss Snark
The Neglected Books Page
Preditors and Editors
Pub Rants
Publishers Lunch
Slushpile
Latino Stories


Alt Vampires
Love Vampires Reviews
Bite Me Magazine
Borderlands Bookstore
Dark Carnival Bookstore
Dark Hunter
Horror Writers Assoc.
Kaleighbug Books
Locus Magazine
Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
Paranormal Fiction
Paranormality Universe
Realm of the Vampires
Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Net
Undead Update
Vampire Genre
Vampire HQ
The Vampire Library
Vampires Vault
Vampress
Vamprowler
Vampyres Online



ARCHIVES
March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / October 2011 / November 2011 / December 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / March 2012 / April 2012 / May 2012 / June 2012 / July 2012 / August 2012 / September 2012 / October 2012 / November 2012 / December 2012 / January 2013 / February 2013 / March 2013 / April 2013 / May 2013 / June 2013 / July 2013 /


Powered by Blogger